Start your journey in baked goodies with these best cornbread muffins. These corn muffins are crumbly on the outside and have an almost buttery texture in the center.
Plus, they’re absolutely so easy to make that you can whisk together a batch in no time at all.
This corn muffin recipe has the right amount of sweetness and savory taste that’s like cornbread but in muffin form.
It’s the perfect side dish for all your comfort food needs without the added calories.
Now, you can indulge in a guilt-free snack or elevate your meals with the goodness of these amazing muffins that are going to satisfy everyone.
Let’s start baking a change towards a healthier and better-tasting food, one muffin at a time!
Sweet Cornbread Muffins Without Eggs Recipe – Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s a healthy and really easy dish made with real corn!
- It’s quick and incredibly easy to make. So you can enjoy more time with loved ones during meal times instead of slaving away in the kitchen,
- You can pair this cornbread muffin with your favorite comfort food for a complete meal.
- This can be your introduction to baking. It’s a great recipe for beginners to learn, and you’ll get a baked Southern classic that you can share with your friends and family.
What Are Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread muffins are a type of bread that’s made primarily with cornmeal, flour, buttermilk or whole milk, and baking powder.
It’s a popular snack or side dish that comes from Southern and Southwestern cuisine.
They are usually a combination of sweet and savory flavors that have a golden brown exterior and a grainy center that feels as soft as butter.
These cornbread muffins are made with simple and readily available ingredients that can be found in your nearest grocery or supermarket.
What I like about this recipe is that they’re made with fresh kernels of sweet corn.
These grains give our muffins different textures and a hint of sweetness, but are also great for our health, which we will discuss later.
- Makes: 12 muffins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Bake Time: 25 mins
- Active Time: 10 mins
- 1½ cups + 2 tbsp/243g fine cornmeal (polenta)
- 1 cup/120g all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp/14g baking powder
- ½ tsp/3g salt
- ½ tsp/1g smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp/15ml maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cup/295ml oat milk
- ¾ cup/180ml water
- 1/3 cup/93ml neutral-flavored oil
- 1 cup/135g fresh corn kernels (or frozen and then let them thaw to room temperature)
Step-by-Step Guide for Easy Corn Bread Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C. Grease an ½ cup/120ml capacity muffin tin pan*. In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and paprika. Mix them with a whisk, and make sure to distribute everything evenly.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the plant-based milk, maple syrup, water, and oil. Mix the wet ingredients, slowly incorporating the dry ingredients until a batter forms. Keep whisking will help the batter to become smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the fresh corn kernels and mix well. Scoop the batter into the greased muffin pan, divide the batter evenly, and fill to nearly the top.
- Bake in the oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and the tops puff up like a dome. Insert a skewer or toothpick into the side of the muffin, and if it comes out clean, it’s ready. Let it cool and sit in the pan for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Notes: *Paper liners can be used, but muffins will not release as cleanly from them.
*Paprika can be increased to 1 teaspoon for a more savory quality, or the maple syrup can be increased to 2 or 3 tablespoons for a sweeter bread.
What To Serve With These Corn Muffins
As mentioned, chili is one of the best combinations with our muffins. And I have just the perfect recipe for it.
Another thing that comes to mind when you think about corn muffins is barbecue. You can pop this recipe onto the grill and have a smoky partner to your muffins.
Tips, Variations, And Substitutions
Chili – This is the knock-out combination. Muffin plus a side of vegan chili is one of the greatest comfort foods known today.
It’s a hearty and filling meal that’s perfect for a cozy night.
Maple syrup – You can drizzle this over your muffins to help them sweeten up a little bit. Plus it also keeps them moist as well.
Onion – This is another great combination. The onions sweeten up while they cook and add another layer of sweetness to our muffins.
Sift the flour and baking powder before combining it with the cornmeal. This will ensure that no clumps of flour are formed and a smoother muffin batter will form.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Keep the muffins in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge until you need them.
This will prolong the muffin’s shelf life and keep contaminants and odors away. Also, make them stay fresher longer.
Yes, you can! Just wrap the muffins in cling wrap first and store them in an airtight container, and you can keep them in the freezer.
They will still be good for up to a month.
Because of the cornmeal, these corn muffins tend to get dry easily. Because of that, you can drizzle honey on them.
The added honey will add moisture to the muffins as well as locking it in. These will prevent them from drying out too quickly.
Vegan Gluten Free Corn Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C. Grease an ½ cup/120ml capacity muffin tin pan*. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and paprika. Whisk to evenly distribute everything.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the milk, maple syrup, water, and oil. Stir the wet ingredients together, slowly incorporating the dry ingredients until a batter forms. Whisking will help everything to become smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the corn kernels. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling to nearly the top then place the cups in the muffin pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a skewer or toothpick into the side of the muffin and if it comes out clean it's ready. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before removing.
Sign Up to Joyful Dumplings!
Subscribe to our mailing list and join our community!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.