Last Updated on August 23, 2023
You’ll definitely love this Protein Mug Cake Recipe! Who says you need to sacrifice flavor for convenience?
With this 5-minute protein mug cake recipe, you can enjoy an indulgent dessert in no time and without huge cleanup after.
Enjoy it warm or cold, your choice! So why not give this protein mug cake a try today?
Protein mug cakes are a delicious and easy way to satisfy your sweet tooth without guilt. It takes only five minutes from start to finish, and you don’t even need an oven!
This vegan-friendly recipe is also packed with protein, so it’s perfect for those who want to get their muscles pumped up.
All you need is some non-dairy milk, flour, protein powder, oil, and any other add-ins you prefer like chocolate chips or fruit.
Simply mix everything together in a mug, microwave for a couple of minutes, and voila – a tasty treat that’s both healthy and satisfying.
Protein Mug Cake – Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You can make a protein brownie in a mug on those days when you need something sweet but don’t have time to make one. Sounds intriguing, right? And here are more reasons why I think you’ll love this recipe:
- It can be easily whipped up in no time, a delicious sweet treat during work (breakfast or lunch). Have friends coming over and no time to bake an impressive dessert? Make this healthy mug cake recipe in no time and enjoy quality time with them afterwards!
- This Microwave Recipe gives you a freshly made protein mug cake in 1-2 minutes. All you need is a few ingredients and a microwave-safe mug.
- High Protein – Enjoy this mug cake with protein. One tablespoon of protein powder usually contains 15 grams of protein. So for this recipe, there are 30 grams of protein per serving.
- Portion Control – Making a protein brownie in a mug is a great way to indulge in a delicious treat without having to worry about making an entire batch.
- The right amount of Sweetness – with room to add more! Spice it up with cinnamon or nutmeg. Or add some semi-sweet chocolate chips to make it a chocolate chip protein mug cake.
- Toppings of your choice – You can enjoy your delicious protein mug cake warm with your favorite toppings, such as powdered sugar, chocolate sauce, nuts, fresh fruits, or vegan whipped cream! For me, simply dust some icing sugar on top, and I’m happy!
How do you bake with protein powder?
Besides making protein shakes, you can add your favorite brand of protein powder to desserts. And when it comes to baking with protein powder, the possibilities are endless!
Basically, you can use protein powder in almost any recipe. Making protein snacks such as vegan protein balls, protein overnight oats, muffins, breads, and cakes. The key is to replace some of the all-purpose flour with a scoop or two of protein powder.
Depending on the types of protein powder you use for your protein cake, you may need to add a bit more moisture to the batter.
For example, if you’re making muffins or cupcakes, adding an extra tablespoon of plant-based milk and/or some applesauce will give them a light and fluffy texture.
Additionally, when baking with protein powders you may need to increase the amount of baking time or reduce the oven temperature slightly. This is because proteins take longer to cook than regular flour.
After a few times of experiments, you will become an expert in creating delicious treats with added nutrition!
Easy Protein mug cake Recipe from scratch
Making a protein mug cake from scratch is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a healthy dessert.
All you need is a few basic ingredients (see the recipe card down below for details), a microwave, and five minutes of your time. Let’s have a look at the ingredients we need:
- All-Purpose flour – For a gluten-free diet, you can use certified oat flour.
- Oil – I use grapeseed oil. You can use the type of oil you like, such as vegan butter melted or coconut oil.
- Organic Castor Sugar– white sugar would work too. Organic sugar is preferred if you’re in the US.
- Non-dairy Milk– I use unsweetened almond milk, but any unsweetened plant-based milk such as oat milk and coconut milk would work too.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – I use Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Compared to regular cocoa, Dutch-processed cocoa has a more intense chocolatey taste.
- Instant Coffee – powder or granular both work.
- Baking Powder – The chocolate mug cake-raising agent.
- Plant-Based Protein Powder – Most protein powders are whey protein powder, which is non-vegan. For the vegan option, I use fava bean protein powder, you can also use vegan vanilla protein powder or chocolate-flavored protein powder too.
- Pinch of Salt – just a pinch to enhance the sweetness.
Get your ingredients together, and let’s get started!
How to Make This Protein Powder Mug Cake Recipe
- To prepare the cake, simply combine dry ingredients like protein powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder, instant coffee powder, cocoa powder, and sugar in a bowl. Combine all the dry ingredients by using a whisk or a fork until evenly distributed.
- Then add wet ingredients such as oil and almond milk to the dry ingredients, and mix until they form a thick batter (add a tsp of dark chocolate chips if desired).
- Grease a 12oz microwave-safe mug. Pour the batter into the pre-greased coffee mug.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 75-90 seconds or until cooked through. (If your microwave is weak, you may need slightly longer cooking time). Let the cake cool a bit before serving. Enjoy your delicious chocolate protein mug cake warm, dust with powdered sugar, or serve with your favorite toppings!
Can I make this in a ramekin?
Yes, you can definitely make your cake in a ramekin!
A ramekin is a small, shallow ceramic or glass dish that can be used for many different types of recipes. It is perfect for making individual-sized desserts, such as cakes and pies, or for serving dips and sauces.
Ramekins are great for baking because they conduct heat evenly and help food cook quickly.
Additionally, the sides of the ramekin are tall enough to contain ingredients like batters that may expand during baking.
Whether you’re making your cake or brownie in a mug or a ramekin, you can trust that your recipe will turn out perfectly.
Can I oven-bake or air-fry protein mug cake?
So once you’ve made this delicious protein mug cake, can you oven-bake or air-fry it for making a large quantity?
The answer is yes – both oven baking and air frying work great when making this recipe.
Oven-baking your protein mug cake will give it an extra deep and rich flavor while air frying will help to keep the outside crusty and flaky while retaining its moist center.
When cooking in the oven, try preheating your oven to 375℉ (190℃). Once preheated, pour your pre-made batter into a greased muffin pan or a ramekin. Bake for around 15-20 minutes or until your cake is cooked. Let cool a bit before serving.
For air frying, simply grease a ramekin with oil before filling. Set your air fryer to 356℉ (180℃) before placing the ramekin into it carefully using a pair of tongs. Set your timer for 10 minutes before enjoying your warm and fluffy piping-hot delicacy!
If you use a tall mug for air frying, you will need to cover it with aluminum foil for 10 minutes. Remove the cover, then air fry for another 5 minutes.
Because a mug is taller and closer to the heat, you will need to cover the cake batter to prevent it from burning.
Replace some of the all-purpose flour with protein powder. You may also want to add some moisture to the batter, depending on the outcome you desire.
Baking with protein powder may require an increase in baking time or a reduction in oven temperature. This is because proteins take longer to cook than regular flour. You can create delicious treats with added nutrition by experimenting!
Depending on the brand, vegan protein powders can be made from pea protein isolate, brown rice, or hemp – all of which are packed with healthy amino acids and minerals. Some brands even use superfoods like chia and flaxseed to boost their nutritional value.
If you’re looking for a vegan chocolate protein powder recommendation, some popular brands are Vega One All-in-One Shake, Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder, and Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Powder. Each of these has great reviews for taste and nutrition.
If your mug cake texture is rubbery and dry, chances are you overcooked it or need to add a bit more liquid.
Hope you enjoy this easy chocolate protein mug cake recipe! 😚 Don’t forget to share this deliciousness with your friends!
More Vegan Sweets n Baking
- Vegan protein muffins
- Vegan Gelato with Date Caramel
- Chocolate covered dates
- Starbread Copycat Señorita Bread
- Vegan Valentine Cupcakes
- Tofu chocolate mousse
- Vegan burger buns
- Homemade Focaccia
- Rice pudding with cooked rice
Protein Powder Mug Cake (5 Mins Only!)
- ¼ cup Plant-Based Unsweetened Milk I use soy or almond milk.
- 1 tbsp Oil I use grapeseed oil
Powder Sugar for Dusting (Optional)
- To prepare the cake, simply combine dry ingredients like protein powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder, instant coffee powder, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl. Combine all the dry ingredients by using a whisk or a fork until evenly distributed.
- Then add wet ingredients such as oil and almond milk to the dry ingredients, and mix until they form a thick batter.
- Grease a 12oz microwave safe mug. Pour the batter into the pre-greased coffee mug.
- Cook in the microwave for on high 75-90 seconds or until cooked through. (If your microwave is weak, you may need slightly longer cooking time). Let the cake cool a bit before serving. Enjoy your delicious chocolate protein mug cake warm, dust with powder sugar or serve with your favorite toppings!
Sign Up to Joyful Dumplings!
Subscribe to our mailing list and join our community!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.